Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gluten-Free Chicken and Dressing Recipe

On Sunday afternoon sitting and talking with family and friends how was I to know what was happening in the world around me? My daughter Ashia received a phone call and all I heard was, "oh, no, you are kidding. How did you hear? Are you sure?"

Of course I was sitting there, "what Ashia, what" to now avail. After she hung up the phone she said, "Momma, Isaac Taylor killed himself".

Wow, how could that happen, what happened, some of the questions that may never be answered.

Immediately I called my Dad who lives next door to this precious family, "Dad have you heard, it's not true is it?" Well, Dad didn't know anything about it but told me he'd check and call me later. Deep down I knew that it was true so I began to make preparations to go to Harrisville, my home town and be with the family during this awful time.

Isaac's mom and I grew up together we had one of those relationships where we practically lived together. We joined the church together, attended ALL movies together, went to the state fair together, went to each other's famlies for all holidays together, in other words anything one of us did we did together. Kandi's parents were my parents, Kandi's uncles were my uncles, Kandi's aunts were my aunts and so on. Then I moved away in 1997 to Guatemala, Isaac was 8 years old then. I returned to H'ville in 2001 and after this time was privileged to teach Isaac in Sunday school and attend various activities with him. I'll never forget the smile on his face and the kindness he portrayed.

His passing away was a very sad and hard time for many people. I saw people during this time that I had not seen for 20 or 30 years. I was able to reconnect with Kandi and our friend Leslie and we are planning a girls weekend soon; I look forward to that! Thank you Lord for bringing good in a bad situation and for the years that you blessed us with Isaac.
I'll Praise You In This Storm
In Memory of Isaac Taylor 1989-2009


After getting on the road to H'ville I thought about I really had nothing to eat with me. I stopped by the local Kroger and picked up a few gluten-free items just to make it a couple of days. One of the things that I decide to try were "Enjoy Life Foods" Soft Bake Snickerdoodle Cookies. They are really good, they still have the gluten-free texture that most bought foods do but they taste great. These are allergen friendly cookies meaning that they are free from all of the most common allergies caused by foods.



Now it's time to change gears and think about Thanksgiving! What will I cook? What recipes do I want to share with you?

Here's one of my all time favorites! I can make it anytime but choose to save it for the holidays, it just makes them even more special.

Chicken and Dressing
Servings: 15
Cooking Time: 45 minutes Cuisine: Gluten-Free
Preparation Time: 1 hour Rating:

Ingredients :
2 or 3 chicken breast, cooked and deboned
1 ½ sticks butter
2 makings of favorite cornbread (I use "My Favorite Cornbread" Recipe that I featured in an earlier blog "101 Questions and Hot Buttered Cornbread")
chicken broth
1 bunch green onions
2 or 3 eggs
2 pkgs. Lipton Cup a Soup cream of chicken

Instructions :
Cover chicken breast in water and boil until done. Remove chicken from Broth (save broth) and set aside to cool. While cooling, sauté onions In 1/2, stick butter and set aside to cool. Remove chicken from bone. In a bowl beat the eggs and milk together. Add 1 stick of melted butter and Soup to chicken broth. Mix corn bread, meat and vegetables together. Add broth and egg mixture. Make sure it is juicy if not add more milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown on top.
ENJOY!!!!

No comments: