Thursday, May 21, 2009

101 Questions & Hot Buttered Cornbread


On Wednesday morning Steve and I returned to the delta to nitrate the corn before the upcoming rain. We ran by the office to pay bills and check things out there, stopped by Sanders and bought chemical and then on to the farm. On the way we must have ran over a nail because when we got there we discovered that we had a tire leaking down fast. This comes under my job; I run for parts, repairs etc while Steve works in the field. So after helping to get everything in the camper I grabbed my wallet and took off to the tire repair store here in Inverness. This nice little old lady runs the store and I have never been in there before. She had 101 questions for me so my fix the flat experience took a while. It doesn’t matter though because in running my errand I made a new friend.

After returning to the farm I had to go out several other times to help Steve and pick up parts. The parts were local so it didn’t take much time and I was able to cook supper afterward. For supper tried something new Gluten-Free Cornbread from “Bob’s Red Mill” mix. I always make my own cornbread but found this at our local Kroger’s and it is so easy I had to try it. It is easier to bring mixes to the Delta than trying to stock a lot of ingredients in our small camper. The bread turned out ok I mean it could have been a lot worse. I guess I’m spoilt because my cornbread it sooo good. I need to buy another mix and try to prefect it. To go with the bread I made Red Beans and Rice. This time of year I try to get in all my cold weather foods and this is one thing that I will not make once it turns hot.

Like my blog yesterday, here is a recipe worth sharing!



Favorite Corn Bread

3/4 cup plain cornmeal (be careful, make sure it is plain not cornmeal mix)
1 cup GF rice flour (you can use white or brown)
2 Tbls. sugar
1 Tbls. baking powder (make sure it is all natural)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. Guar Gum or xantham gum (found on web and in health food stores)
2 lg dips Mayonnaise (you can also add a large dip of sour cream for added moisture and it just gives it that country taste)
ADD: 1 cup milk 1 beaten egg 2 Tbls. melted shortening or oil Pour into greased 9x9 pan (I use iron skillet). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. serves 6

Hot with butter it's great. My family and friends love it!!!!

No comments: