Saturday, May 16, 2009

I was recently glutened!

Be careful anytime you are eating away from home.

I recently had an ordeal where I was eating with family and though they had checked the package added to the roast they had over looked a very important thing, WHEAT. I had already eaten some before we discovered it but thank the Lord we looked before I ate seconds. After lunch I went home and starting popping Benadryl. Not for the gluten affect it would not help that though besides having Celiac I also have a wheat allergy, which is two separate things and I was hoping the Benadryl would help the allergy part.

Steve and I left that afternoon and drove to Memphis so we would be there early the next morning for a business appointment. On the way we prayed that I would not have a violent reaction. I believe in the power of prayer! At bedtime that night I took two more Benadryl and though I had a slight headache I felt pretty good. ☺

The next morning I woke up without a headache which was a miracle but I had a stomachache, extreme gas and so tired I could barely get out of bed which is some of the affects gluten can have. Besides that I was sneezing my head off, sore throat, itchy eyes and everything else that goes with allergies. Yes the wheat was attacking me and it was not fun! ☹ We left Memphis to drive to Arkansas, what was to be a long drive for me. I made the trip and when we returned home I was so drained that I didn’t feel I could go for days plus I felt awful.

Something different (new for me) has happened to me this time. I awoke in the middle of the night screaming with pain in my right leg. I was having spasms and it was hurting bad. Thank the Lord Steve was home and able to help by rubbing it until the cramping stopped. I guess with my intestines throwing off the gluten it was messing up my potassium as well. For this I started taking potassium tablets, eating bananas and drinking orange juice. Five days later my pain subsided.

I’ve found that every time I eat gluten my symptoms are worse just like my allergy to wheat. Years ago I asked my Doctor, “can’t I just eat wheat and then take an allergy pill?” He said NO, it may not hurt you bad for a while but sooner or later your heart and other vital organs will be affected. This can be serious!

The point of this is to remind you to never assume that everyone understands your way of eating. Always ask detailed questions about the meal before eating. They may mean well but just not understand what you can and cannot have. One of my past blogs (Going Gluten-Free?) has a list naming what does and does not contain gluten. Also on the right hand side of my blog you can find information for food and environmental allergies and Celiac.

If you have a friend or family member with food allergies or Celiac read up on it and surprise them with something special at a meal that is totally gluten-free. It doesn't have to be anything hard. Go to your local Kroger and buy a gluten-free cake mix and make a special cake. It will bless their socks off, I know!

Fresh Fruit & Dip (a summer treat)


Steve and I have been trying to watch what we eat but one of my favorite things at “The Front Door” restaurant in Columbus is their homemade chicken salad, fresh fruit and dip. I recently ordered some and shared it with Steve he loved it too. So I came home and made my own version with out adding extra sugar.

1 - 8 oz cream cheese & 1 – 8 oz. marshmallow cream with a little milk to make creamy

We like it and it is not as sweet as the original version where you add powdered sugar. I think in the future I’ll add a little more marshmallow cream though.

And in remembrance of a mayor who recently died, “And That My Friend is the Bottom Line!”

No comments: