Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gluten Free Tuna Casserole

Honey and I have been married for almost nine years and we often talk about a tuna casserole that our mom use to make. It sounds like my mom and his mom cooked a lot alike. I told him once that I was going to Dad's and try to find the recipe but I never did. Then I started following pinterest and ran across a tuna casserole that sounds similar so I decided to give it a try.

When I make it again the only thing I will change is the cracker topping not because it wasn't good but because the topping alone cost me five dollars. Next time I'll substitute it for crushed gluten free corn flakes. I use this on many of my casseroles and it works out great and cost a lot less.

Tuna Casserole

Ingredients:
- 1 pkg egg noodles, cooked & drained
- 1/2 cup gluten free cream of mushroom soup mix or enough to equal 2 cans
- 1 pkg shredded cheddar
- 3 sm. can(s) tuna, packed in water, drained
- 1 box gluten free crackers or 2 cups of corn flakes, crushed
 Glutino Gluten Free Original Crackers, 4.4 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
- 1 stick margarine, melted
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 pkg frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 jar(s) (small jar) pimento
- 1 c ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1 c water

Directions:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix in large bowl tuna, soup, onion, mayo, frozen veggies, pimento, ricotta, water & half bag of shredded cheddar.
2.   Next fold in cooked egg noodles then spread mixture in 9x13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
3.   Cover with remaining cheese.
4.   Mix melted margarine and crushed crackers or corn flakes till well coated & sprinkle over casserole. Bake till golden and bubbly.
5.   HINT: I have also used pepper jack cheese in this instead of the cheddar and it's great if you like spice. I have had the suggestion of adding another can of tuna to this because with all the other flavors the tuna flavor is not very strong. To each his own.

Thanks for stopping by y'all and please come again soon!

No comments: