Friday, November 4, 2011

Gluten Free Skillet Lasagna

 Oh my I love lasagna, when I first read this recipe over at my friend Mary's blog I knew that I had to try it. Thursday I was planning our supper and I really wanted pasta so I decided that Skillet Lasagna or Mary's Skillet Broken Lasagna gluten free style would be great.

I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed. The lasagna was great but not a very smart move only because we are trying to cut back and loose a few pounds. I pared it with a big green salad that we ate a lot of along with a large helping of the lasagna. Friends I have enough lasagna for several meals, I'm thinking about freezing part of it for later but I want to eat it at least once more before I do.

This dish is an extremely easy one dish meal which I am all about.

So make it from Mary's Version HERE or my version it doesn't matter just so you give it a try!!!

Gluten Free Skillet Lasagna
Ingredients

  • 4 cups of broken lasagna noodles (I used DeBoles Gluten Free Artichoke Lasagne noodles)
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 pound of ground chuck
  • A palmful of dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning or to taste, optional
  • 2 pinches of kosher salt
  • 10 turns of the pepper grinder
  • 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
  • 2 (14-1/2 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 cup of cottage cheese
  • 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Instructions

Bring a pot of water to a boil, then salt generously.  Break up the lasagna noodles into smaller pieces and boil until tender.

While the noodles are cooking, using a large skillet that has a cover, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender. Add the ground beef and cook until it begins to brown and crumble the meat. Add the garlic and cook until meat is browned. Add the parsley, Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and stir in well; cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stir to mix and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in both cans of diced tomatoes with the juices, stir to blend, reduce heat to a medium-low, cover and simmer while you finish the noodles.

Drain the noodles and set aside for a moment. To the meat in the skillet add the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the drained noodles; stir to blend. Smooth out the top and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella evenly all over the top. Cover the skillet and continue to simmer on low until the lasagna is bubbly and the cheese has melted. Do not have the burner too high or the bottom will burn!


Mary's had onions and garlic which my husband is allergic too so to give it a even better taste add onions and garlic to taste. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for stopping by y'all and please come again soon!

No comments: