Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving



I've been cooking up a storm but have not had a chance to take photos of all of it. Here are a couple of recipes I want to share.



I've made the best Banana Nut Muffins HERE is the recipe for them.






I've also made Deep South Dish's "Southern Sweet Potato Pie". I decided to try this recipe for my family because the pie I use to make was extremely full of sugar and as you see this one is not. After my daughter, who will tell me exactly what she thinks, had her first piece I asked how was it and she really liked it. When I told her the ingredients she liked it even more and has shared several pieces with her two year old. Gammy hit a home run with this pie, thanks Mary!


Southern Sweet Potato Pie

1 to 1-1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes,
   peeled and cubed (about 2 large)
3/4 cup of light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup of butter, softened at room temperature
Pinch of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell, homemade or prepared (Pillsbury recommended)

Steam or boil diced sweet potatoes until tender; set aside to cool slightly. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put sweet potatoes in a food processor together with the egg yolks, half and half, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Slice up the butter and add. Process just until well blended.

In a mixer bowl, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. Add in 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. You should be able to hold the mixing bowl upside down without the whipped egg whites sliding out. Add the sweet potato mixture to the whipped egg whites until blended well. Sprinkle pecans on the top and drizzle top with the maple syrup, if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes until set, or when an instant read thermometer inserted into the center reads between 165 to 180 degrees. Shield the pie crust edges with aluminum foil about halfway thorough cooking time to avoid over browning.

Let cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate any leftovers.

See Mary's version HERE!

That's all I have photos of for tonight friends but I'll be sharing more soon.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all and please visit again soon!

No comments: