Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Creole Smothered Steak

I wanted chicken in rice but when I didn't have the chicken I needed I decided to settle for something else. To be honest I was too lazy to get ready and go out in the cold to buy a pack of chicken. Now I'm so glad I was lazy because it was wonderful. I stole this recipe from Mary at Deep South Dish and tweaked it to make it gluten free and oh my if Mary's is any better than this my heart couldn't stand it. It reminded me of tomato gravy with meat in it! Ummm

Here's my gluten free version of Mary's Creole Smothered Steak

Creole Smothered Steak


6 cube steaks or tenderized round steak
Worcestershire sauce a generous sprinkle all over, optional
1/2 cup of all purpose gluten free
generous amount of pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon of seasoning salt
2- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
1 can of Coca-Cola Classic
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of ham bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning, or to taste
1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes


Pour Worcestershire sauce on tenderized round steak and let sit for 20 minutes. Mix the flour, seasoned salt, and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy bottomed, lidded skillet over medium high heat. You'll need that lid here in a bit. Drain the steaks and dredge then lightly in the flour mixture, cooking them in the hot oil, 2 or 3 at a time, without crowding them, until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.


In that same skillet pour in the cola and turn skillet up to high. Add the tomato paste, beef base or bouillon, thyme, rosemary and Cajun seasoning, stirring until blended in. Add the diced tomatoes, bring back up to a boil, reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer until reduced slightly.


Reduce heat to a low simmer and return the steaks to the skillet one at a time, turning to coat both sides and stacking to the side until all steaks have been coated. Spread them out, cover and cook over medium low for 1-1/2 hours or until tender, occasionally shaking the skillet to prevent the steaks from sticking. Do not allow the sauce to boil! You only want it on a very low simmer.

Thanks for stopping by y'all and please come again soon! 

No comments: