Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Super Bowl Food

It's almost time for the big game. Did you know that there is more food prepared and eaten during super bowl Sunday than any other time of the year.  Here are the top Super Bowl Food Statistics taken from HERE.


-     The California Avocado Commission (CAC) projects that 13.2 million pounds or 26 million avocados will be consumed Super Bowl Sunday, mostly in the form of guacamole. That's enough dip to cover the Louisiana Superdome football field from end zone to end zone and approximately 40 inches. Are you ready to get waist deep in guacamole?
-     Approx. 8 million pounds of popcorn will be consumed on Super Bowl Sunday.
-     28 million pounds of potato chips are expected to be consumed.
-     During last year’s football championship game, more than 450 million chicken wings (90 million lbs.) were consumed, according to the Washington, D.C.’s National Chicken Council.
-     It is estimated that more than 49.2 million cases of beer were consumed by Americans during last year’s Super Bowl Sunday.


I love football and basketball so I look forward to the Super Bowl every year. Honey and I usually spend the afternoon alone lounging in our pj's and EATING. I always cook up a few treats just for the day. So here are a few of my Super Bowl recipes.

Shrimp and Crab Dip
This recipe was taken from my friend Shirley who is now in her eternal home. She always brought it to all events at my house and we always looked forward to that. So I have converted it to gluten free and here it is. Make sure your ingredients are gluten free before making.

1 Chive & Onion Cream Cheese - 8 oz. - softened
1 Cream Cheese  8 oz. - softened
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper - optional
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 TBS Parsley Flakes
1 cup Crabmeat - chopped
1 cup Shrimp - cooked and chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese - shredded

Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly together. Fold in crab and shrimp. Transfer to a shallow 2 cup baking dish.

Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes or until top is lightly brown. Top with Parmesan after baking or 5 minutes before it's finished cooking..

Serve with toasted bread slices, crackers or tortilla chips.


Nachos

What is a party without nachos? I've always been one who liked things that go with anything. I bought a jacket once before my daughter left home, and it was made up of hundreds of different colors. My daughter's reply was, "Mom everyone knows you bought that to go with everything." I guess it made me look poor like I only owned one jacket. Don't you just love the wisdom of your kids? I love that jacket and still wear it today. Anyway one thing I love about nachos is that you can make chicken nachos, beef nachos, vegetable nachos, chili nachos and the list goes on and on. Umm maybe I am poor, no really I'm blessed.  So this photo shows chili nachos made from my famous chili, recipe listed below.


Chili

Ingredients:
1 pound lean hamburger
1 sweet onion; chopped
2 cloves of garlic; finely chopped
1 TBLS. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 14-oz can tomatoe sauce
8-oz dried beans of your choice
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes tomatoes with chilies I use mild
1 4 oz can tomato paste

Instructions:
I soak my beans and then start my chili by cooking them in beef broth, or chicken if making chicken chili. When they start to get tender I cook the beef and onion together and drain. Then add the beef mixture to the beans. After this add other ingredients and stir well. Cook until beans are tender and much of the liquid is absorbed.

Serve with crackers or corn bread! ENJOY

What are some of your favorite super bowl recipes? Care to share?

Thanks for stopping by y'all and please come again soon!!!!

No comments: