Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Spicing up the old!

We have taken a couple of trips before the farming began in full force. I want to share with you what we've been up too.

First we went to New Orleans to just get away. We love the history and Food of New Orleans. I know some just see the evil there but since I have lived and worked among the less fortunate I just those involved in the evil as souls that God loves. Really my heart breaks at some of the things you see walking down the streets of New Orleans.

While there I literally got addicted to one of the candy shops, "Mister Apple"! If you have never visited this wonderful shop you have to do so the next time you are in town. Honey took me three times and each time I bought something, I even bought apples and brought them home with me for later. If I was ever featured on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" I think this is what it would be. So PLEASE just go to Mister Apple and try it! Of the few I tried this was my favorite, I think they call it the "Deluxe Chocolate".

Since returning home we have started farming in full force. I've been hone a lone or until late at night a lot and have not been in the mood to cook anything new. Here are some of the things that I have cooked and just spiced them up a little.

 The other morning I was craving the "Cream Cheese Pancakes" that I have made several times before. This time I spread several with peanut butter and topped them with honey. Mmmm I can't express how good they were I could have easily eaten another batch but I would not allow myself to cook more.

I made my "Salmon with A Yellow Pepper Jelly Glaze" last night but used Pineapple preserves. Oh man it was great! NO leftovers of this.

Since this is Honey's birthday week I also made some "Shortbread Cookies" from a Bob's Red Mill mix that I had on hand. I didn't really feel we would enjoy these by themselves but I had some fresh fruit so I made a big bowl of fruit with a powdered sugar glaze and then topped it with whipped cream to serve along with the cookies. It was great and the cookies are good right by themselves, with a cup of coffee of course!
Don't be afraid to branch out in your cooking, try new things, you'll be amazed at what you come up with.

That's about all for now, I just wanted you to know that I'm still alive and kicking!

 Thanks for stopping by y'all and please come again soon!


No comments: