Thursday, March 27, 2014

Easy Southern Squash with Onions

I love squash stewed down with onions in butter. I grew up on this dish and of all the ways I eat squash this is my favorite and I might add easiest squash recipe. For years I did not cook with onions because Honey had problems with them, but lately he is doing much better and I have put onions in everything to make up for lost time and just in case I have to quit again!

If you can't have the onions it's still good but there something about adding a big ole onion to this dish that makes it delish!

 Easy Southern Squash with Onions


2 lbs Yellow Crookneck Squash
1/2 stick of butter
1 large onion
salt and pepper to taste

Add butter to a no stick pan and melt on low. While butter is melting wash squash well, cut off ends and chop it into small pieces. Peel and chop onion into small pieces.

Add to pan and mix well so that it is covered in the butter. Cook on medium heat covered until vegetables are tender. Then I like to turn up the heat and brown it real well, that's the reason I suggest a no stick pan.

*To make it just a little less calories I added about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and not so much butter to this recipe.

A great side dish with any meal!

Thanks for stopping by y'all and please come again soon! 

No comments: