Friday, October 29, 2010

Upside Down Deep Dish Pizza Casserole

I love it when I can transpose one of Mary's recipes to be gluten free. Now for those of you who are not gluten free you can directly to Mary's website "Deep South Dish" and make her version. Lordy be if I didn't have to eat without gluten I'd weigh a ton because I think I'd make everything this girl has listed. Sometimes it pays to have to be on a special diet.

I have been wanting to try this for a while and now that my blood pressure is giving me problems I decided to make it really fast before my doctors appointment. Yes, I'm afraid I'll have to stop eating things like this for a while.


Upside Down Deep Dish Pizza Casserole
Posted at http://www.deepsouthdish.com/

8 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 tablespoon of canola oil
1 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped green bell pepper
2-3 ounces of pepperoni, roughly chopped
1 pound of lean ground beef
1 (14 ounce) jar of pizza sauce
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup of your favorite gf baking mix (I use Pamela's)
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly on the bottom of the baking pan; set aside.

Heat the 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and cook the onion and bell pepper until soft, but not browned. Add the beef and cook until browned. Stir in the pepperoni and cook another 4 minutes; drain if needed. Stir in the pizza sauce and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and eggs. Add the flour and the salt to the milk mixture and whisk until well blended and smooth.

Carefully transfer the meat mixture evenly over the layer of mozzarella in the prepared pan. Pour the batter on top of the meat mixture, making sure to cover completely. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly on top.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Casserole with deflate and resemble an upside down deep dish pizza.


Serves about 6
hahaha and I made it for two!! We eat a lot ya'll!!!!

1 comment:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

I LOVE IT! Yeah, I definitely have not lost weight since abandoning WW and deciding to blog southern food LOL! Hope everything works out at the doctor's office.

Just got back with the grandkid's trick or treating downtown. Biggest one ever. Hope you're having a great weekend!