Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gluten-Free Recipe for Banana Nut Muffins


I have been home (in Macon) sick this week. I ran to the grocery store to buy a few items that I needed and found "Gluten-Free Pancake and Waffle Mix". This may not seem like much to you but I live in a small town and for the local store (Tem's) to stock ANYTHING gluten-free is a big deal! Shopping for gluten-free items reminds me of shopping for American made items in Guatemala. I use to get sooo excited when I found anything that I was use to buying here in the good old USA. Now I'm doing the same thing with gluten-free, it's funny how some things never change.


I made these recently and my family loved them. Ben said that he could not tell they were gluten-free.


Banana Nut Muffins
Servings: 12

Ingredients:

Combine in Large Bowl
3 bananas; very ripe, peeled and mashed
¼ c. oil
1 c. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 egg

Whisk together in separate bowl
1 ½ c. GF all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ c. mini chocolate chips optional
½ c. nuts; chopped optional
½ c. dried fruit optional

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
Add the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and stir until well blended.
Mix in your choice of add-ins. Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for about 20 or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.. Cool muffins on wire rack. Wrap leftover muffins; bag and freeze for easy on the go treats. Reheat briefly in microwave, if you wish.

No comments: