Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Gluten-Free Trip to Georgia

We made it to Georgia for my cousin's daughter's wedding and had a great time. I was dreading the traveling and staying on my gluten-free diet. I had bought bars and peanuts and made GF sugar cookies for the trip. I ate a few of the cookies in the middle of the night when I had a bad headache so that I could take some medicine but other than that I didn't dip into my stash.

There were plenty of places to eat along the way and I ate way too much. I don't know why I think I'll starve when traveling because of having to eat gluten-free! I envy you who live up north and in the west it seems you have so many restaurants and we have hardly anything GF here in the south! :(

I thought I'd share a few photos of our trip.

A no no at home, but at Gammy's?

Stopped for lunch in Alabama.

Mom with the newest member of our family, baby Logan.

My cousin Debbie and her youngest son.

Darla with her grand-father, my uncle John.



At the reception

Left to right: my Dad, Uncle John, Uncle Ray (Pop) and their Aunt Maxine.


Ash is great at catching people off guard. I fed Austin since my snack (fruit) was over.

The happy cousins.

Since we don't have five generations in my family, we asked Pop to stand in so we could get a five generation photo.

We traveled together, my Dad sure was brave!

Aunt Nell with Austin

My cousin sister with Austin

In the hotel room with her book

I think she was begging for help

I promise this girl is as fast as lightening, she gets into everything!

Fun with Mom's shoes
The only problem I had while traveling was after the wedding I went with my cousins to a steak house. I had explained my gluten problem and when my salad arrived it had croutons. I explained my problem once again and they took it back, I should have thought about it, my salad was returned very quickly. I looked over it good and ate because I was starved. At three o'clock the next morning I woke up with a migraine among some other things. Needless to say my trip home was everything but comfortable but I made it. God is gracious when these things happen and I always make it through.

This just goes to show we're not quiet completely educated on Celiac and eat gracefully gluten-free.

Oh, by the way the house is coming along and we should be cleaning up and getting ready to move soon. I'm so excited but still have a lot to do so I'd better get to work!

No comments: