Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Birthday and Baby Celebration!

First things first, Ashia and I recently went shopping and I was able to look at the baby boy clothes. I have been looking for a while but agreed with Mary that I wouldn't buy until we knew the sex of the baby. I was sooo excited and determined to find SOMETHING to purchase. This may have been harder for me than most because I have this theory that if it's not on sale it's not meant for me to buy it. Just so happened Gymboree had two clearance racks of little boy clothes and this is what I ended up buying. Isn't it the cutest? I bought it in a 6 to 12 month so that he can wear it next summer! Of course Ashia bought a few things for Austin as well, oh how I love a good sale!!!!





We celebrated Steve's birthday with my Dad who came for a short visit. I made the apple pie I told you about and have listed the recipe below. Ben and Ashia bought the ingredients and made homemade peanut butter ice cream. They also cooked large juicy hamburgers out on the grill and I made crispy oven fries. Everything was wonderful and we ate way too much!


Steve enjoyed everything about his birthday. As a birthday and new baby celebration I gave him this book. It is very large with large print and has a lot of the classic nursery rhymes as well as short stories. This is something he can share with all of his grandchildren for many years, no matter how bad the eyes get. LoL I bet you have never given your husband a nursery rhyme book for his birthday! Classic





Ben and Steve, with Sydney. She is so jealous of Steve she'll do anything to make sure she gets all the attention.




And she did!!!!!

This years birthday would only have been better if Mary and Sarah and their families could have been with us. We miss all of them at times like this although Steve enjoyed their cards and phone calls! We love you kids!!!!!


Grace's Gluten-Free Apple Pie

Servings: 8

Ingredients:
5-8 cooking apples; peeled and thinly sliced
1-¼ c. sugar
2 Tbs. corn starch
1 or 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg, opt.
1/8 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. butter or margarine
2 gluten-free pie crust (I use "Gluten Free Pantry"
Perfect Pie Crust mix)

Instructions:
Combine sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and salt. Coat apples well with dry mixture and dot with margarine. Put apple mixture into the deep dish pie crust. Cover with second crust. Cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Place on cookie sheet and back at 350 degrees oven for 50 minutes or until done. Cool slightly before cutting to retain some of the pie's juices.
(I'm sorry I forgot to take a photo!)


The pie lasted only two days so I guess it was good!

Coming soon recipe for my "Oven Barbecued Ribs". Be sure and keep up with what is going on in our lives and my easy gluten-free recipes!

No comments: